Re: [MiNT] RPM's

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 11:52 +0200, Frank Naumann wrote:
> Hello Alan!
>
> > One thing I'm thinking here, is that with RPM we've probably got an
> > uphill battle.
> >
> > There's no RPM m68k distro's that I can think of.
> >
> > Whereas, if we switch to using .deb from Debian, we could leverage the
> > existing m68k deb packages and just add our patches to those.
> >
> > Thoughts ?
>
> Yes :-) I can't remember any porting issue that was related to the CPU
> target. That play almost no role. The porting issues are all related to
> the environment (e.g. mintlib and it's Unix compatibility). I don't think
> there is any benefit for us just because Debian has a m68k distribution
> (it's just a Linux distribution like for every other target too).

A fair comment, but "almost" is the key word. In packages such as GCC,
binutils, gdb, and others there should be a benefit in using packages
that have had wider testing on m68k distro's. They may well have patches
specifically for m68k that we may not pick up if we use RPM's from an
x86 architecture.

But, we can always pull those patches into an RPM. So it was just a
thought. We can stick with RPMs.

Alan.