Re: [MiNT] EmuTOS for ColdFire

maybe you didn't read the thread properly - see the message I was
replying to.

Ok, I won't argue about that. I should be more patient I guess :-)

If you roll back to first message I posted to this thread you'll notice I was afraid of possible split of remaining small user base if software
authors would offer binaries optimized for CF claiming that they would
run on m68k as well, though slower.

I see what you mean, but what's the alternative? Let's say we port the OS to ARM or PPC. Personally I welcome this scenario too, but naturally we'll end up with binaries which can't be executed on 68k machines without emulation.

Such process sends a clear message
to the m68k users - upgrade to CF/ACP or be even slower than you were..
It's hard to explain as it's kinda social thing. Let's see what the
future will bring.

I get that too, but then again - what's the alternative? We've migrated to the TT/Falcon and sacrificed backwards compatibility to be able to use new features, and we've created stuff for the 060 which is impossible to do on the 68000. If we didn't do that, the platform most likely would be even smaller than it is today, since new features and unexplored possibilities keeps developers interested (imo).

-- PeP