Re: [MiNT] Bit-Depth and Graphics stuff....

Am Mittwoch, den 07.07.2010, 20:09 +0200 schrieb Jo Even Skarstein

> No, the way to do this is to first transform the bitmaps to a generic
> format (such a format already exists in VDI for 8 bit and less), and
> then transform this generic format to the screen format.

The generic format must be choosen dynamically dependent on the graphics
hardware. Otherwise it could be redundant:
Let's say I choose 32bpp as generic format, but I'm running a machine with
8bpp colors.
That would mean:
sample an 4bpp bitmap up to 32bpp (the generic format) then fed the
drawing routine with this 32bpp bitmap, which down-samples the bitmap to
native 8bpp.

This could also be done this way:
sample 4bpp up to 8bpp, fed the bitmap drawing function with that 8bpp
bitmap.
To me this sounds like one sampling process less. :)

Greets,
Ole