Re: [MiNT] Bit-Depth and Graphics stuff....

On 07/07/2010 08:25 PM, m0n0 wrote:

>> No, the way to do this is to first transform the bitmaps to a generic
>> format (such a format already exists in VDI for 8 bit and less), and
>> then transform this generic format to the screen format.
>
> The generic format must be choosen dynamically dependent on the graphics
> hardware. Otherwise it could be redundant:
> Let's say I choose 32bpp as generic format, but I'm running a machine with
> 8bpp colors.
> That would mean:
> sample an 4bpp bitmap up to 32bpp (the generic format) then fed the
> drawing routine with this 32bpp bitmap, which down-samples the bitmap to
> native 8bpp.
>
> This could also be done this way:
> sample 4bpp up to 8bpp, fed the bitmap drawing function with that 8bpp
> bitmap.
> To me this sounds like one sampling process less. :)

The device independent format it bitplane oriented, and can contain any
number of planes. So in the cases where this format can be used, you
convert your image to device independent format without up- or
downsampling colour depth. The VDI then take care of up/downsampling
when transforming.

Jo Even