Re: [MiNT] Current versions

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 5:47 AM, Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:
> I'm doing some minor edits to the wiki this evening, and I intended to
> update the Download article. However, it occured to me that I have no
> idea how to aquire any binaries except for the daily build at
> freemint.org...
>
> So the question is, what is the version number of the following
> versions, and where to download binary archives?
>
> - Current stable version - which version and where to download?
old, the same one currently used for EasyMiNT, which is not really
acceptable (its 1.16.3)

> - Current beta - which version and where to download?
dont really have one, hence the need for a point release, see below

> - Current development version - I guess the archives at freemint.org?
yes freemint.org
I can allow the RSS feed and generator to be placed on the sparemint
sever to make integrating actual links to binaries as simple and
automated as possible (ie no editing required for the links to be
maintained as current)

> Jo Even

I expect that when Helmut is happy, and Alan approves, that a point
release will be forthcoming. I believe there are some very minor
issues that need to be ironed out be this can be done, and depending
of usage results a new stable version would then be available.

As certain users have found, some of the development build are
extremely stable. If they can be isolated, and tested on a broad
spectrum of platforms, then these should qualify as "usable beta's",
at which point they can be offered up for download

Due to Jo's knowledge of the current organisation of various sparemint
parts, I would expect his suggestion for a place for these downloads
as a start point for there final destination (unless others have a
better or more accurate suggestion)

the use of the same RSS generation code can then be used to include
these direct links as well without the need to update wiki content,
but a cron job running perl script to output .xml would be just as
suitable (depending on developer skills etc)
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:RSS_Reader

If this is currently installed, then it is just a matter testing it:
<rss>http://paulwratt.110mb.com/atarist/mint/freemint/rss-mint.php</rss>
currently gives 3 results
<rss>http://paulwratt.110mb.com/atarist/mint/freemint/rss-mintlib.php</rss>
currently gives 1 result

note: for cross browser & multiple application support, the header
output & header part of the xml are explicit

download tracking should also be implemented for statistical reasons
(again I have script for this if needed)

Paul