Re: [MiNT] Bit-Depth and Graphics stuff....

> Again, I couldn't agree more. But I make applications, not VDIs :)
Common Peter, you're clever enough to hack TOS VDI for SuperVidel,
don't try to tell me you're scared of new VDI code ;)

> In short - the debate was about whether it's ok to render graphics directly to the target format if you're on <= 8bpp. Since it *has* to be done that way in >8bpp modes, my personal opinion is that it can also be done in <=8bpp modes given you know enough about the target pixel format to do so. For animated stuff, it's imperative. Otherwise you'll end up with a useless 3FPS thing. Michaels view is that this is ugly and can lead to unexpected phenomenons, which is something I don't agree with.
I still can't help myself -- why on earth not doing this in VDI?

1. Blitting 16/24/32bpp: Tweak / improve / create API which is as far
as possible backward compatible with 8bpp but aware of 16/24/32bpp
2. Direct rendering: one boolean in that new API?

I really see no harm here. It will be system clean, Michael will be
happy, you will be happy. :)

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org