Re: [MiNT] GEM frameworks

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM, m0n0 <ole@monochrom.net> wrote:

> Am Montag, den 19.07.2010, 12:44 +0200 schrieb "Jean-François Lemaire"
> <jflemaire@skynet.be>:
>

>> Network applications that are BSD sockets-compliant (basically the new
>> MiNT
>> API if I'm not mistaken) won't run under Magicnet to my knowledge.
>
> At least highwire compiled for MagicNet works with mintNet.
>
> Magic is dead, but I like to use it with my MegaST... :) It fast and
> comfortable. I expect MiNT will not run satisfactory.

this is an example of why its still a good thing to allow compilation of
MagiC compatible binaries

I read doc the other day that said gcc binaries for MagiC work, but only if
they are compiled with 2.95 (an example of use for gcc-295), was something
to do with C calls (I think).

In my book this comes under the same topic as "runs on plain TOS" in that
in atm it is borderline wheather the resulting apps are actually usable or not,
but the point being that it is still possible, and that it will be
impossible at
some point in the near future

this is not the same thing as maintaining multiple sets of code, and the
released programs I mention, I think they were GFA basic, which after
looking at vdi_fx, is coded in the app for compatibility

It not about weather new apps are compatible or not, but weather or not it
is possible to write compatible apps, because this is the last chance we get

The flip side to this point of discussion is that weather or not they
are practical
on standard hardware, everytime people see a new app running on standard
hardware or compatible emu's, there is more interest in coming back to an
Atari ST compatible platform.

For me that meant ARAnyM, for others it could be original hardware they still
have, or practical use through CT6x/CTPCI or the new ACP/FireBee. To make
my point I recently seen a list of CT6x/CTPCI for TT (not sure weather
it actually
happened yet tho)

Paul