Re: [MiNT] GEM frameworks

On 07/18/2010 07:49 PM, m0n0 wrote:

>> There is a reason why I've stopped supporting MagiC and Geneva (and more
>> or less N.AES too) in my few GEM-apps. It makes testing and maintenance
>> so much easier.
>
> MagicNet ist compatible to MintNet,... it's even so compatible that you

Yes, because the old MiNTnet interface is still kept in MiNT and we
produce binaries which supports both the old and new (which does not
exist in MagiC/MagicNet) API. I don't think that apps like Lonny's
VNC-viewer will work with MagiCnet (Lonny, correct me if I'm wrong but
it looks like this app use the MiNT networking GEMDOS API).

> I don't know about the other internals, but for NetSurf: of course you
> will need an Magic Setup that has long Filename support and you will need
> something like an home directory and an fonts directory. I'm not caring if
> NetSurf will be compatible with MagiC. If it will run with it: fine, too.

All this depends on the mintlib. Just emulate enough in the lib and it
will work. At the cost of bigger binaries and more code to maintain.

The same applies to the user interface. Just emulate enough in the
library you use and it will work almost anywhere.

> To me, FreeMiNT + Xaaes is the thing ( The feature! :-) ).

Ditto.

Jo Even