Re: [MiNT] XaAES Gradients

On 08/09/2010 09:59 PM, Paul Wratt wrote:

> So your saying that people should not be allows access to related
> information because no one has implemented in code or a config loader?

?? You can do whatever you want to the code. But not everything is
suitable for release. Configuration by compilation is not exactly
userfriendly.

> If you are compiling yourself, then ANY changes you make are going to be a hack.

Why? I know that I'm not a great coder, but I'm capable of turning out
code that's not hacks.

> Besides I have already stated that I have an integrated patch, one
> that does not require any C+P

But it requires compilation. Why? You're only half way there. The
gradients are working, but there is no proper way to change them. The
next step must be some way of loading or configuring these at boot- or
run-time, not compile-time.

>>  If the gradients can be
>> defined in xaaes.cnf (or perhaps a separate configuration file), you
>> won't have to add any gradients at all.
>>
> whos gonna do this? (config reader)

Hmm... Let's see... What about someone who wants to be able to
skin/theme XaAES?

> exactly 37 struct's are defined. each struct has 1 identical value on
> creation, and 8 seperate values which change, and 2 values which are
> arrays which change in size according to the render function used
>
> this does not include a few struct that are still missing, or the
> addition of other render algorithms/functions
>
> this is NOT something I would put in the xaaes config, mostly because
> it would become unusable for other people. Even you must admit that.

You are describing internal structures. I'm talking about configuration
files. A gradient is a very simple thing. You define two colours (a
start- and end-point) and the rest is calculated. You make the
configuration file simple, and generate the internal structures in the code.

Or you can make it simple and skip any configuration parser. Create an
external tool that saves the gradients in the internal format, and then
just load the binaries in XaAES. There are many ways of doing this.

> Why cant those user defined configs be exactly like the provided c files?

Why should they? And no - "easier for the programmer" is not a valid
argument ;-)

> I dont know what the problems are with people on the list in relation
> to textures and gradients, you've had like 7 years + to look into
> this, soon as some else does all hell breaks loose, what gives?

It could be that the proposed solutions just aren't good enough.

Jo Even