Re: [MiNT] XaAES multi-language help needed

Hi,

2011/1/16 Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no>

It would affect a *lot* of apps, not to mention that all existing text
files written with the Atari charset would be wrong.

I think the use of UTF was discussed around 10 years ago.

Jo Even

English wouldn't be affected  but all other languages will be. I believe utf should be handled by the application that needs it (text editors, word processors, browsers etc) and not by the OS.
The problem comes when you want the atari to interact with other computers offline and online in a non english language. It's impossible for me to post greek in a greek forum for example. Text files are also non interchangeable. I am also uncertain whether using ISO encodings will actually help on that when it comes to online activities but they will work for the exchange of files (I have tested converting atari greek to iso through a translator program and the conversion worked and I could read the text on my PC).

@Bohdan, could you check whether the ISO encoding you use works when interacting with other computers? (sending an email to yourself and reading it on your other computer and reading a txt you created on the atari with your other machine would be sufficient (or tell me what happened because I imagine you have already done that)).

Regards
Christos