Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT binaries and CPU specific versions

2011/7/15 Vincent Rivière <vincent.riviere@freesbee.fr>:
> Mark Duckworth wrote:
>>
>> IIRC That was PeP. There were several people who voted it down because
>> really how often is an installed system going to change architecture.
>
> Changing the architecture is almost a nonsense, but testing a newer beta
> kernel is very common. Ideally, the daily built kernel archive should be
> droppable somewhere then runnable from a menu item.
>
> In the same spirit, on Linux when upgrading the kernel, it is very common to
> keep the older one as backup if something goes wrong on the newer one. Then
> GRUB (the boot menu) can easily be used to select one kernel or another.
>
> --
> Vincent Rivière

does it make sense to have daily builds produce a build number that is
used in path + archive name.

ie:
if you build from cvs it defaults to "mint/_maj_-_min_-cur" (normal)
daily builds are "mint/_maj__min_b_build_" then "mint/_maj_-_min_-cur"
(118b0321)
release builds are "mint/_maj_-_min_-_point_" (1-17-0 or 1-18-1 etc) (normal)

this would solve the -cur problem. I had scripts and ver files to
allow switch between 1-16, 1-17 kernels, accoding to input folders
(ver files told me which kern ver I was booting, c:\mint\mint.prg
linked to that kernel, and ver per kern telling me which folder the
current -cur folder came from)

it worked ok for a while, but after 30 kernel updates I had way to
many build folders floating around, none of which could actually boot
with out being renamed (to -cur) and copying/linking the correct mint
bin

I considered "mint/_maj_-_min_b_build_" (1-18b321) but that only
allows about 2.5 years of builds per version (1 build per day) so
dropping - allows 9999 builds per version (118b4321), and still work
on TOS/FAT 8.3 filesystems

I guess it could be possible to use .3 part as well, but it would have
to be in a "make sense" kind of way..

if daily builds check their own custom folder name first, you could
have unlimited mint versions bootable, simply by changing the mint.prg
used (like 118b4321.prg in this example)

Paul