[MiNT] Hotkeys (Was: Re: Background)

Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> 1. I wish it could be possible to applications to subscribe to
> key-combinations. So if I for example wants to re-enable the

Yep - I just had the same idea. But i think it's not done in a few minutes.

Also there should be an interface to reset the key-bindings.

> task-switcher mentioned above *cleanly* in Taskbar, Taskbar would ask
> XaAES to always receive the Ctrl+Alt+Tab combination even when Taskbar

It could ask for any key-combination, even a single key.

> doesn't have keyboard focus. It could optionally ask for this
> combination to not be sent to any other apps - or even the XaAES
> internal hotkey handler - while Taskbar is running.

I think this should be a fixed default - it would be quite annoying to have two
programs act on a single keystroke.

> 2. Allow other hotkeys than Ctrl+Alt-combination. Alt-Tab is a good
> example of a useful and familiar combination. Another one is the Windows
> key, which both the Milan and Eiffel (and maybe ARAnyM, I don't know)
> supports. This could substitute the Ctrl+Alt+Space as well as be treated
> as a modifier. Using the Windows-key to access features is much simpler
> than Ctrl+Alt, just take a look at how it's done in Unity.

I guess those special keys could get assignments in xaaes.cnf, but that is far future to me.

> 3. Not in XaAES but in the kernel: It would be good with better
> Eiffel-support on computers with IKBD keyboards. The Eiffel (and future
> clones, I have an AVR-based clone on my desktop now) supports stuff like
> temperature monitoring and fan control, this currently requires a
> special driver. It would be better to have a clean way of subscribing to
> certain IKBD packets so stuff like this can be done properly.

.. and display the values in the taskmanager ;)

-Helmut