Re: [MiNT] updated: XaAES 1.6.6

On Tuesday 29 October 2013 10:50:06 Helmut Karlowski wrote:
> J. F. Lemaire, 29.10.2013 08:40:36:
> > - Troll, configured to launch qed: qed apparently doesn't find $HOME
> > and is launched with its default built-in settings;
>
> I tried with qed alone: cfg only in $HOME, works when run from u: and from
> not u:. I don't know what troll does and I could not start qed from troll,
> don't know how.

This is set in the /Options/Paths dialog. Then create a new mail and call the
external editor via the popup menu.

> > - GEMClip, when run from the ACC directory (GEMDOS partition),
> > launches (via shel_write()) GEMDict, which receives its own directory
> > as CWD, which is right; but when GEMClip is run from an ext2
> > partition, GEMDict receives the path of GEMClip as CWD and cannot run
> > (this can be tested via the "Clips/Look up online" menu item in
> > GEMClip, even without network, with $DICT set to the GEMDict program).
>
> I haven't changed anything for accessories, they are launched differently.
>
> But the path of the called app is the path of the caller which is probably
> wrong and may be the cause of the above.

That's what I gather, yes.

> > Another thing: what do you mean by this:
> >> - preserve current directory of the caller in shel_write
>
> I don't know how often I'll have to explain this for you:

I suppose as long as I will be reporting systems bugs that I have difficulty
understanding. I might also not report anything at all, if you prefer. My
stupidity would then be hidden to the world and I wouldn't have to stand that
kind of rudeness.

> P1 (in dir x) calls P2 (to be started in dir y). To achieve this P1 first
> has to cd to dir y, launch P2, then go back to dir x, where it came from.

OK, got it now.

> > The problem as I see it is that, in some cases at least, the *called*
> > application seems to be receiving the CWD of the *caller*, which is
> > wrong. The CWD of the callee should be set to its *own* directory. We
> > seem to be stumbling on this for a while now...
>
> That's not the case, but will be fixed. Next issue: What is the *own* dir
> of the callee? I'll use the dir where it resides by default, except when
> sh_wdoex says something else I guess (extended mode).

Yes, that's what toshyp says and it's the only thing that makes sense to me. I
didn't find anything in the Compendium about this but the Compendium is
probably no longer relevant nowadays anyway.

Cheers,
JFL
--
Jean-François Lemaire