Re: [MiNT] Window with toolbar and redraw messages

On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 08:27 +0100, Helmut Karlowski wrote:

> I think that's what JFL wanted to avoid, and I can understand that. The
> AES should support such cases and not force the programmer to use
> home-cooked stuff or "dirty" things like USERDEF.

The AES does support such things in a clean and well-defined manner -
USERDEFs... There's nothing "dirty" about this.

JFL wants to draw something inside a window widget without using the
AES. I find that concept more "dirty" than creating a custom AES object.

The real problem here is that JFL wants to use AES toolbars, and AES
toolbars are not very flexible. If you want a horizontal toolbar on the
top and a vertical on the left, you have to manage this yourself. Adding
support for multiple toolbars is a much better solution than hacking in
a "work area" inside a widget. With multiple toolbars you will still
have a real work area. Problem solved.

However, the easiest and quickest solution would be to write your own
windowed form_do(). It's not very hard, it's clean and it works with all
AES'es. And the code can be reused in later projects very easily.

Jo Even