[Freemint-list] MiNT 1.19 and SCSI drive

Piotrek mietniow at agh.edu.pl
Wed Mar 1 18:16:40 MSK 2017

W dniu 28.02.2017 23:15, Helmut Karlowski napisał(a):
> Am 28.02.2017, 09:17 Uhr, schrieb Piotrek:
>
>>> least about 50MB  (but on ext2). The whole process took some hours,
>>> and it all went well  using cp from the command-line.
>>
>> I understand I used most often directly from the Thing using Kobold or
>>  KK > commander or in the last resort the same thing and moved files
>> from  one
> window to another with disabled Kobold, but the effects were similar.
>
> Then I suggest you try the same with cp from a shell, and not use
> Kobold,  I never used it, and don't even know that commander. Anyway:
> Copying the  50MB-file from ext2 to VFAT on another disk did work for
> me, but it may  last some time.

Today I made more tests. I dont know but I already noticed problems when
creating the file system and setting up and copying and writing files on
the disk SCSI. I would like and test using all type partition on this
disk. I made 2xBGM, LNX and FAT 32 partitions. I noticed the creating
file system using mke2fs from command line This process took a very long
time while writing inode tables. The same when I try to copies a file
net.tar (lenght about 13MB) for example to ext2 or BGM partition, it
took a few minutes using cp from command line and directrly in Thing
when Kobold is disabled. When copying stops after approx. 5 MB for about
two minutes and then resumes copying and so on, that is, for 13 MB file
it happens 3 times.
I wonder if it depends on the settings in the file MINT.CNF where I
FS_CACHE_SIZE = 4096 ?

In addition, when copying a directory with hundreds of small files
message appeared on the screen

pid 43 (cp) block_io (T) bio_writeout: RWABS fail (ignored, -10))

The next question is it depends on the driver disk drive?
I use the newest version 10.01 and test new version 10.03 (toppic is on
the hddriver forum)

> Maybe you have background-DMA enabled in hddriver as you use Magic? If
> so  try without. Don't know if it affects MiNT, but maybe it does.

Do you mean options Background transfer (MagicAtari) in HDDRUTIL in this
moment is disabled

Regards
Piotr

> -Helmut

Dr Piotr Mietniowski
Department of Electronics
AGH University of Science and Technology
Av. Mickiewicza 30
30-056 Krakow, Poland
Bldg. C1 r. 212 tel. +48 12 617 30 44
e-mail: mietniow at agh.edu.pl