standard paths (Was: Re: MiNT goes UNIX. I hope not. )

|>In <199401171650.AA21237@ruulot.let.ruu.nl>, Annius Goenink wrote:
|>
|>The current mechanism, looking for an enironment variable first and use a
|>hardcoded path if it ain't there, is not to bad. Only the way in which to
|>decide what the builtin path must look like should be standardised, at the
|>moment it's a bit chaotic, to say the least.

 There is a third way: in my setup I have a file `c:\etc\host.cnf'
(yes, the name is currently fixed, but as it is the only fixed name it
could be easily changed by a utility like fixstk). In c:\etc\host.cnf
there are entries like
ETCDIR=/dev/u/etc
LIBDIR=/dev/u/usr/lib
HOSTNAME=<Guess>
etc.

For special programs one could add a line
PROGRAMNAME_CNF=<location of program special-.cnf file>
in which setups can be done which affect only one program

c:\etc\host.cnf and the program.cnf-file could be set up by
install-scripts or programs.

Some of my programs use this feature already and it works quite fine.

Any comments?
--
Bjarne Pohlers                | Institut  fuer  Numerische  und  instrumentelle
<bjarne@math.uni-muenster.de> |        Mathematik (Informatik) der WWU Muenster