Re: TOS/MiNT/MagiC issues (was: Importance of "W"

 >Things that should be done, IMO:
 >* abandon SingleTOS for net access. MiNTnet should be promoted more as the
 >  net system for the average joe-user, not for the tech-heads. This needs
 >  a new install, that doesn't provide a complete unix system, but provides
 >  a stable, up-to-date .net system (with config progs, etc) and GEM apps
 >  ready to go

Basically, a PPPkit with a GEM installer should be IT. ;-)

 >* make Magic more MiNT-like, with MiNTnet and .XFS/.XDD compatability.
 >  ASH wont do the XFS stuff, I expect, but maybe some Magic guru feels up
 >  to making patches to MiNTnet to port it?
 >  This is the way ahead for Magic, IMO, not PPP-Connect.

There's no way you'll convince ASH of that, but if there is someone
with enough knowledge of both systems to port MiNTnet, then  ;-))))

 >* free AES 4.1 compatible AES... oAESis was getting there, but it is
 >still buggy, and since development has stopped...

This is wishfull thinking, IMHO. There's just too much work involved
into making an AES 4.1 replacement. It should at least be shareware.

 >Nor do I. Just be patient, and wait for fenix.

Without waiting for Fenix, there are already quite a few nice patches
out there that can be compiled and burned into an EPROM:

   WiNX, BigDOS, HS-Modem, etc.

There are even utilities for TT/Falcon to handle the CRC calculation
before compiling the patched TOS into an image.

   TP30620.LZH  (TOS Patch 3.06  v2.0)
   TP40412.TOS  (TOS Patch 4.04  v1.2)

Both were found on the CD-Rom of french magazine STratos.

What's interresting about WiNX and HS-Modem is, they both provide
some of MultiTOS' advanced functions:

WiNX:  more windows and auto icon-moving when resizing desktop windows.
HS-M:  fcntl(TIOC?BAUD)   returns/sets baudrate as bit-per-second.

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
Atari TT030 12/48 NVDI 4.11r0, MiNT 1.14.5, N.AES 1.1.0, GlueSTiK
    "By the year 2000 we will, I hope, raise our children to
     believe in human potential, not God." -- Gloria Steinem
 <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>