Re: Importance of "W" for Mac68/TOS

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Anthony Jacques wrote:

> Things that should be done, IMO:
> * abandon SingleTOS for net access. MiNTnet should be promoted more as the
>   net system for the average joe-user, not for the tech-heads. This needs
>   a new install, that doesn't provide a complete unix system, but provides
>   a stable, up-to-date .net system (with config progs, etc) and GEM apps
>   ready to go

A minimal requirement for such a setup should (IMHO) be a
MinixFS-partition. MiNTnet itself doesn't need many binaries then, or
what? ifconfig, syslogd and pppd is definelately needed, but what
else?

With a GEM-based dialer/pppd-frontend this should be just as easy to
use as STinG.

A minimal, and easy to install, setup should then include:

* A tar-archive of a minimalistic MiNTnet-setup, designed for dial-up
  connections with ppp and nothing else. I.e. no multiuser facilities
  or other fancy things.
* A MiNT-kernel and Atari's AES 4.1.
* A GEM-based dialer and pppd-frontend.
* A GEM-based installation-program that initialises the
  minix-partition, unpacks the archive, asks for things like
  hostname, nameserver etc. and modifies the proper config-files
  accordingly.

But what about clients??? All the really good stuff needs MiNTOS
(pine, mutt, ircII...), without them all we're stuck with is CAB, aFTP
and various STiK-clients that runs under GlueSTiK.

> * free AES 4.1 compatible AES... oAESis was getting there, but it is
> still buggy,
>   and since development has stopped...

There's always Atari's own AES 4.1, it's been publicly available for
quite some time now and I don't think anybody actually cares. It's not
perfect, but it's a very nice freebie :-)

/*
**
*/