Re: FreeMiNT 1.14.7 locks up

On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 10:58:33PM +0200, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
>Here you are:
>
>MINT.PRG is the actual FreeMiNT, referenced as "the kernel".
>
>MiNTOS is the program what you specify for the MiNT to execute (the line
>in MINT.CNF: INIT=u:\c\multitos\init.prg for example). This program
>does wtmp accesses to insert there a "reboot" entry. It is generally
>reponsible for putting all the environment together by executing /bin/sh
>and rc scripts (etc).
>
>The MiNTOS has the same function as init in other unices, so it is often
>referenced as "init". Moreover, it is named so (see ps, process number
>001).
>
>Basically the difference between FreeMiNT and the MiNTOS is that they're
>completely separate programs.

Okay, I'm with you.  So MiNTOS aka init doesn't read the mint.cnf for
its configuration, right?

>The order is as follows (according to the actual MiNT source code):
>
>MINT.PRG
>device drivers (C:\MULTITOS\*.XDD)
>filesystems (C:\MULTITOS\*.XFS)
>MINT.CNF
>programs appearing in the AUTO after MINT.PRG
>init process

Okay, so by the time MiNTOS/init starts, the symbolic links in u: have
been created by MINT.PRG, right?  In that case, I still can't
understand why MiNTOS can't see /var/adm/wtmp .

To reiterate, I have g:, my minix partition.  I have g:\var\adm\wtmp
(aka /g/var/adm/wtmp).  From my MINT.CNF, I have u:\var -> g:\var .
Therefore I have u:\var\adm\wtmp, aka /var/adm/wtmp .  So why can't
MiNTOS/init find the bloody wtmp file??

(I suppose pretty soon I'm going to have to upload my MINT.CNF file!)

Thanks for your excellent explanation of the boot process, Konrad.

--
			--Michael

Michael Hill   <><  Isaiah 9:6 | "We are all pilgrims on the same journey--but
Michael_Hill@csgsystems.com    |  some pilgrims have better road maps."
Aerospace/Software Engineer    |         --Nelson DeMille, "The Talbot Odyssey"
CSG Systems, Inc.              |
http://www.qadas.com/~msh      |
---In a marketplace (like the one of ideas), not everything has equal value!---
Did you ever notice that everybody in favor of abortion has already been born?!