Re: [MiNT] X magic

On Thu, Nov 26, 1998 at 09:09:41PM +0200, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
> Has anyone ever managed to get the X-11 package from KGMD to work
> on a 4 MB ST machine?

Wow, Here we have a man with guts. ;-)

> It only seems to work if I use xinit, but

Do you want to say that X starts up at all?  Phew, I wouldn't have
thought so.  But even if X runs, can you launch an application?
I wonder how you want to run xterm if bash already consumes more
than half a meg of RAM...

> it fails if I use startx:  it says fvwm and xclock are not found.

startx is a shell-script (for the location try "which startx").
Put "set -x" at the beginning and you should see where it fails.

> Any hints?

If fvwm and xclock exist ("find / -name fvwm -print") you
probably haven't to set up your $PATH correctly.  Put the
X-bin-directory in your $PATH.  If xclock really doesn't
exist (not very likely) you can safely comment out that
line.

Then, with 4 meg you shouldn't use fvwm as your window manager.
Try a less memory-expensive.  The available window managers
should reside in a directory like "/usr/X11R5/bin/X11/*wm"
(i.e. they all end in "wm"). Pick the smallest and choose
this one.  Then you have a chance that it leaves you enough
memory to run some small apps.

BTW, the MiNT kernel contains "experimental" support for
three-button mice.  Are there any three-button mice available
for the Atari mouse port?  Or has anybody ever managed to
connect a serial mouse?  The latter shouldn't be a big
problem and if the vdi would poll /dev/mouse instead of
using the ikbd vector a driver shouldn't be a problem.
Unfortunately most people run mint after the vdi...

But when using X11 simply linking /dev/tty[ab] to /dev/mouse
is actually safe, isn't it?  Hm, but this interferes with
current kernel versions, right?  But you can still tell
X to poll /dev/tty[ab] instead of /dev/mouse.

Ciao

Guido

P.S.: I remember that when I tested X I always had to reboot
to finish it (well, most of the time the server crashed).
The secret keys are CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE.  At least on Linux
the server gracefully terminates with that combination.
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000
mailto:gufl0000@stud.uni-sb.de