Re: [MiNT] Q: memory protection

Hi!

On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 06:23:36PM +0200, Martin "Nightowl" Byttebier wrote:
> I've downloaded the last freeMiNT packge from Frank's webpage (1.15.1). If
> I understand the install docs right I only have to rename the kernel to
> mint.prg to have a memory protection enabled kernel. Right?

Did you get the 040-kernel? Only this one has the correct memory
protection code for >= 040.

> Am I overlooking something or doesn't memory protection work on a Hades
> 060.

As far as I know, memory protecion on the Hades won't work (with either
040 or 060), as the MMU tree on the Hades is installed by an accessory,
which is too late (and brain-dead, IMO). Furthermore, the tree installed
by this accessory seems to have invalid root pointers for unused memory
areas (i.e., the pointers aren't marked invalid, but just point to some
random addresses).  This may cause problems as well.

Finally, I've not yet been able to check the memory protection code on
the 060 myself, so I can't even say it works on other machines with a
060. I'll try to get a 060 for my Milan for that, though it seems to be
still not available.

Ciao

Thomas

--