Re: [MiNT] Help! BIO-DMA ethernet-card

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> I set up the network with 'ip-config 192.168.1.9 255.255.255.0' on the
> Linux-box. route and ifconfig confirms that everything is alright. I
> then try to ping the linux-box from the TT, and I can see that the LED
> on the NE2000 on the PC flickers. ifconfig tells me that the PC receives
> all the packets sent by the TT, but the TT doesn't receive anything.
> ifconfig on the TT says that ~98% of all sent packets resulted in errors.

Can you run ifconfig on the PC and check whether it is sending any packets
to the TT?

> Also, if I set up the ethernet-card on the TT with the coax connected, the
> TT freezes 9 out of 10 times. I first have to configure the card, then
> connect the coax. Pinging the TT will often crash it.

Well I don't think the TT should crash like that even if everything is
configured wrong. It sounds like a bug.

> ifconfig says that eth0 on the PC use MTU 1500 and metric 1, while ne0 on
> the TT use MTU 1500 and metric 0 (what is 'metric' btw?). I change this to
> 1 on the TT but the problems persists. I have not tried changing it on the
> PC.

metric is just a measure of how "long" the route is and is used to find
the shortest path for routing. It has not significance in this case.

> arp still reports no entries, there was no arp on the mini-linux I used so
> I couldn't check it there.

If the machines were communicating properly, entries would automatically
get added to the arp table to reflect each machine. You could try adding
static arp entries though and see whether something interesting happens.

| Mario Becroft           * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group      |
| mb@gem.win.co.nz        * Atari Hardware Developments                 |
| http://gem.win.co.nz/   *             >>> NEW MIDI-3 <<<              |