Re: [MiNT] kernel 1.15.8

Hi everybody,

I just tried FreeMiNT 1.15.8b yesterday. I was running 1.15.5, I installed the
new kernel and 'shutdown -r'.

I felt very happy, because it was the first kernel since 1.15.5 that doesn't
break something in Jinnee. Everything went very good. I shut everything down
before to go to bed.

This afternoon, I switched my Hades back on. First thing: "Illegal instruction"
reported by XControl. I'm wondering, is this poor XControl such a piece of cr*p
that it has always problems with each new version of FreeMiNT? Or is it just
that somebody around here doesn't like it?

I tried again and, this time, e2fsck reported a lot of errors on the partition
where all my MiNT stuff is. I freaked out... and reinstalled a lot of things
from my backup (First time, it was really useful.) That new kernel apparently
didn't like my /bin and /sbin folders.

By the way, if somebody could tell me where I found 'tzinit'. I lost it in my
battle with that new kernel and wasn't able to remember where I got it.

I tried a second time, with memory protection on, as the kernel complained about
that. It was worst! At the moment N.AES should be launched, the screen went
black then white and the Hades logo appeared. My Hades just re-booted!

Finally I went back to the ol' trustable 1.15.5. No problem with it. Jinnee
works smoothly, and so does XControl!

Nevertheless, in the meantime, I discovered the /kern directory. Apparently, it
has something to do with the /proc directory. Can somebody tell us more about
all this new feature?

See you later,

Remi Villatel
maxilys@normandnet.fr