Re: [MiNT] kernel 1.15.8

On 2000-5-8, Frank Naumann <fnaumann@freemint.de> wrote:

> > > It's due to header file changes. There are now some header
> > > files in fasttext.c missing.
> >
> > Great news, Mr.Lincoln, but how do I fix it?
>
> There are generally two solutions:
>
> - fix it yourself and send me a patch (the recommended method)

Pretty hard to do until I know:

* What exactly went away
* Why
* Where to

For instance, your current trend is to make kernel features into
its own separate KERNLIB, independent of MINTLIB.  Then again, it
doesn't give me any clue on how big you want KERNLIB to be, nor
if you intend upon keeping FASTTEXT inside it or if you instead
consider it a part of VDI.  In other words, you broke something
in a way that prevents others from fixing it;  whatever others
might attempt stands 90% chances of being trashed, just like the
work Joerg did recently...

> - wait until I corrected it (the slower method)

Same comment to you about FASTTEXT as to Guido about vdibind.h:

Why take something away if you do not offer an immediate
replacement, in the first place?

Thought:  upgrading is a process of improving and adding things,
          not creating obsolescence and dropping support.

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS