Re: [MiNT] SSH RPM?

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 12:34:16PM +0100, Maurits van de Kamp wrote:
> > KGMD is deprecated, huge and unefficient. Marc-
> Anton's small
> > distro has just enough to get one started; it is
> _much_ better.
>
> Yes but if you already have KGMD there's no need to
> change distributions, I think that's what he meant.

Exactly.  Noah mentioned that he had installed the KGMD already.

> Then again, the trouble with kgmd is that sparemint (or
> actually the RPMs) assume that /bin and /usr/bin are
> different directories. I found out the hard way when my
> KGMD was still up. :)

If a Sparemint rpm really expects /usr/bin and /bin to be different
directories (and not just symlinks) please report that as a bug.  It
is not intended.  Sparemint maintainers are encouraged to have a separate
/bin and /usr/bin (as well as separate /lib and /usr/lib, /sbin and
/usr/sbin, /tmp and /usr/tmp).  But the rationale behind that requirement
is to ensure that all Sparemint tools have a "preferred" location.  Example:
A package needs the program "cat".  The "textutils" should install that
program as "/bin/cat" and that is the location that other Sparemint
packages should expect.  If a maintainer has /bin and /usr/bin just
symlinks to each other, she may run into the trap of invoking (or
expecting in some other way) the program "/usr/bin/cat".  In a symlinked
environment this will work perfectly alright.  But if a particular user
doesn't have these symlinks the installation will fail.

In other words: All Sparemint packages should be able to grok with setups
with or without these symlinks.  I think the easiest way to ensure this as
a maintainer is to separate the directories on your own machine (and to
avoid relative paths like "../bin/whatever").

Ciao

Guido