[MiNT] OSMD - NKEMD structure

Hi all,

perhaps my message "OSMD vs KGMD" was not very clearly arranged. So I
will try here to describe my proposals in more human form. I ask here
because I still don't know much about unix systems and also because
I do the work (OSMD) not only myself but also for you and for
everyone who wants to install SpareMiNT easily.

So the situation: I took parts of KGMD  kit (let's say KEMD because
it is mostly in English) which has no (working) equivalent in
SpareMiNT and am going to do a set of rpm packages from them. I will
call this part NKEMD. I would like to know your opinions and notes to
my following proposals.

General question:
- I won't create separate src.rpm files but will include the src
files to bin rpms into dir usr/share/doc/...
- I omit missing config and doc files
- I am looking for new versions of all non-SpareMiNT KGMD programs
and new non-SpareMiNT + non-KGMD MiNT software. Please help !!!

Individual packages - solving the problems:

ash:
- include only ash bin, man and src
- remove pwd which is in SpareMiNT's sh-utils

bsplit:
- I do not know if the functions of bsplit are not replaced by
something from textutils, but the file named bsplit is not in
SpareMiNT so I am going to leave it in NKEMD.

elm:
- in KGMD there was a file /usr/bin/filter. I think it is not
important so I am not going to add it into NKEMD.

elvis:
- I don't think it is important so am not going to add it in NKEMD.
Nevertheless some files from /usr/ucb (elvis, elvprsv, elvrec, input)
have no SpareMiNT equivalets.

fileutils:
- "mkfifo and mknod never worked, they were pure fake." - I am not
going to use them in NKEMD although they are missing in SpareMiNT.

shelutils:
- /usr/bin/w is not in SpareMiNT, but I think it is not important.

textutils:
- /usr/ucb/rev is not in SpareMiNT and I won't put it to NKEMD.

init-1.4:
- I am going to use this instead of mintinit because most people say
mintinit does not work properly. I am going to exclude halt, passwd,
finger and talk because they have alternatives in other packages.
/boot/multitos/init.prg - moved to /sbin (leave the extension ?)
/usr/bin/hostname.bsd - renamed to hostname
/usr/bin/hostname and /usr/bin/hostname.sh - deleted
/usr/bin/passwd.bsd - excluded, is in npasswd NKEMD package
/usr/bin/su and su.bsd - excluded, have alternative in sh-utils.rpm
/usr/bin/sync - excluded, is in fileutils.rpm
/usr/bin/who - excluded, is a part of sh-utils.rpm
/usr/etc/halt and halt.bsd - excluded, are in halt+reboot
/usr/etc/syslogd - excluded, has equivalent in SpareMiNT
/usr/ucb/finger.bsd - deleted, is also in finger NKEMD package
/usr/ucb/talk.bsd - deleted, is also in ntalk NKEMD package
/usr/ucb/wlogin.ttp - deleted, was only a link

halt+reboot:
- I will use both to replace mintinit and the halt from init-1.4.1.

Makevars: will anybody need this?

minixfs:
- it is replaced by new kernel packages so I will omit it in NKEMD.

MiNT-Tools:
/usr/bin/ps.mint - renamed to ps
/usr/bin/nice.mint - deleted, it is in sh-utils.rpm of SpareMiNT

procmail:
- I don't find the link /usr/libexec/mail.local -> ../bin/procmail
important and so will omit it.

smail:
- I hope the files /usr/bin/uuwho and /usr/ucb/newaliases are not
important because I omit them in NKEMD.

wmail:
- I omit /usr/bin/mailx and /usr/lib/wmailrc .

finger:
/usr/bin/finger.net - renamed to finger

finterd:
- package renamed to finger-server

mintnet:
- I hope there is a reason dummy.xif and oslip.xif are not included
in the new kernel package. It will not appear in NKEMD.

nfs:
- NFS itself is now included in freemint.rpm, but there is no nfsd. I
am going to create NKEMD package named nfs-utils.rpm with nfsd and
rpc.mountd.

rcp, rlogin, rsh:
- reorganized to 2 new packages (like RedHat) - rsh and rsh-server

ntalk:
- split to 2 packages (like RedHat) - talt and talk-server
/usr/bin/talk.net - renamed to talk

telnet:
- split to 2 packages (like RedHat) - telnet and telnet-server

I hope it is all.

Regards,
		Bohdan Milar