Re: [MiNT] freemint 1.16.0b stability

> "Optimistic" is the right word to say, if one thinks that there can exist a
> stable OS without testing. And who is running alpha kernels? Frank, me and
> Ozk? So no wonder that there can be undetected problems on other machines,
> if nobody bothers to check if an alpha works, and even if he does, does not
> bother to report problems (-> bugtracker).

etc etc... I understand what you mean, but don't forget one thing - in
compare to some application (qed, for example), testing the OS itself is a
quite different. When I use qed and i discover some bug, i write it down on
paper and before the bugfix-release i don't use that function, which was
buggy. But when i use mint and i know it has some stability bugs, i can't
use it since i can loose my source code, i can't be able to compile my
sources etc... simply i can't WORK with such kernel. So it's not a question
of using the kernel, but the question of finding bugs and doing nothing else.
And since a lot of users/coders are only users from this point of view, you see
it isn't as simple asi it seems.

but that idea with daily updated binaries isn't bad. about your page - i was
that person who downloaded the 1.16 kernel from your site ;-) Problem was
that i didn't know it's the latest version, page was unavailable sometimes,
etc... so post it for example at atari.org that here's such option and you
are looking for betatesters... not a small message in freemint package, but
official and public request for it.

MiKRO         Atari XE/XL/Mega STE/Falcon060         http://mikro.atari.org