Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT documentation

Dear MiNT developers,

before all "invent some sane format for the documentation". Then, when
invented, we can revise all the existing documentation, because it will have
to be converted anyways. "Revise" means re-use and update, not simply dump
and write from scratch.

Once, I had the same problem. So I developed a tool, which I use now
for all my text-related work. It is called GOSH. It is a tcl-script,
which takes a plain ASCII text in usenet-style and generates either
Latex (and thus, ps or pdf), html, xml or man-pages. It supports
multiple section levels, nested items, nested enumerations, detection
of hex numbers, accentuations such as _this_ or *that*, tables,
cross-references, links, description-items, verbatim sections (for
source code) etc.

For example, I wrote my ACP-article about my MiNT-work using this
tool. You can take a look at the source code:

http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~nf2/svn/trunk/acp/doc/mcf5407eval.txt

Simple, isnt it?
As a result, you get something like:

http://acp.atari.org/files/articles/mcf5407eval.pdf

or

http://acp.atari.org/articles/mcf5407eval/mcf5407eval.html

or even

http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~nf2/tudos/html/goshtest.html

It is very extensible - a new backend can be added easily
(the html-backend took me an hour or so). ST-Guide, UDO?
Its biggest advantage is, that the source code is a
readable ASCII text. There is no markup-stuff or such.

As I said, I use this tool for everything: documentation,
websites, papers etc. Maybe it could be also of use for
the MiNT documentation work? If so - I would release it as
GPL.

Greetings,
Norman