Re: [MiNT] Mintnet success ?

Peter Slegg pisze:
> I thought I had made a breakthrough last night but I am not sure.
>
> I now have an ancient laptop connected to the Netgear ADSL router.
> This can view the settings. Highwire can't because the box needs
> a login (not https) and it uses some javascript.
>
> I was going to copy the settings onto a D-Link box that I could
> never user with 1.15.12 because it is DHCP only. I noticed that
> the default MTU on the box is 1458. I tried to change it but the
> box would hang if I did. Perhaps the adsl connection is setting
> this value ?
>
> So I tried setting the Mint MTU to 1458 and it still works. Then
> I gradually increased it in steps. It stopped working at 1475 but
> works at 1472 (need to double check this, it was getting very late).
>
> I was ftp-uploading a 2Mbyte file at about 45kbytes/s.
>
> It doesn't make sense to me that it still works with Mint MTU higher
> than the ADSL box. Should I set the MTU as high as possible or
> set it to 1458 ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter

MTU is different for different kinds of networks. On Ethernet (up to
100Mbit speed) it is 1500 bytes). ADSL may use different values,
depending on what it uses for encapsulation (but I do not know the exact
values).

To make a real good test, you'd need to setup two MiNT boxes, connect
them with Ethernet and try to transfer data between them. Try different
MTUs on both machines. If it will work OK - MiNT is not to blame. If it
is not OK, MiNT has some bugs (well, not MiNT exactly, just Ethernet
driver).

--
Adam Klobukowski
atari@gabo.pl