[MiNT] gcc-4.2.2-mint-20080127

Hello.

I have just updated my patches for the binutils and GCC.
They are available as usual:
http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68k-atari-mint/

Now all the tools displays the patch version when they are invoked with --version. Keith, this would have helped you for finding your C++ problem !

I have removed the implicit usage of -fomit-frame-pointer when -O is used. The GCC bug is still present, but it does not appear as long as -O, -m68020 and -fomit-frame-pointer are not used together. So now Quake works when compiled with -O3 and -m68060 ! I tried to enable the video again, and that's incredible, it works perfectly on ARAnyM with FreeMiNT ! It is very fast, probably about 25 fps, with the software renderer (OpenGL is not used). I didn't enable the keyboard, so we can only look at the demo. Maybe MiKRO will release a playable version compatible with ARAnyM ?

Finally, I added the patches provided by MiKRO for compiling GCC 4.2.2 natively with GCC 2.95.3. I didn't include the patch for libstdc++-v3 about strtof() and strtold(), because it works well with the cross-compiler, and I wasn't able to reproduce the problem natively because of big memory problems. Of course, I will include it if it is really necessary.

I also included the patch provided by Olivier for the makeinfo problem. He has compiled the binutils on Fedora Core 8, where makeinfo 4.11 was not considered >= 4.4.

So far, what are the remaining problems with GCC 4.2.2 ?

Keith, you said recently that the "thunk" problem was still here. Could you tell me how to reproduce it ?

Alan, you reported having a lot of problems with the FreeMiNT kernel (however it used to work fine), are they really related with my latest patches ?

Many thanks to all of you for contributing to improve the build tools !

--
Vincent Rivière