Re: [MiNT] XaAES

From: "Helmut Karlowski" <helmut.karlowski@ish.de>
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:14 AM
To: <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] XaAES

1. Don't use ' ' (space) as Alt-shortcut in dialogs.

Already changed to insert in my current version.

This is not the same thing. As you know, XaAES will automatically generate underscores for Alt-shortcuts in dialogs when loading a RSC, and also when handling alerts. Some people like to pad the button-strings in alerts with spaces, in this case the first button always get Alt+space as shortcut. Space should not be considered a valid shortcut IMO.

2. Menubar in windows doesn't work properly. It's been a while since I looked into this, but among other things the menu stops working when the window that owns it is un-iconified. I have a test-program that use this feature that can be used as a test-case.

I never had an example for this.

3. Redrawing the menu bar (in a window) only works the "proper" way (wind_set(handle, WF_TOOLBAR, NULL, 0, 0)) when the window has a toolbar attached. If the window doesn't have a toolbar, you'll have to use the old form_dial(FMD_FINISH...-trick.

Same as 2.

I can mail you a test-program if you like.

BTW: Nobody has tried one of my changes yet, right?

No network on my Milan, so currently I have no convenient way of getting stuff larger than a floppy ;-) An impressive list though, will have to try it somehow. Do you have a 060-binary I can test on my Milan?

- Todo/Wishlist:

- Resolution-Change

- This feature is disabled (as it was in the original)
-> Remove from menu or implement it

IIRC Ozk has already done a lot of work on this but never checked it in. He made loadable modules to do resolution changes on the Videl, Nova and Milan hardware.

 - New features

- Make the G_SLIST-object available to applications :-)
- A better Control-Alt-Tab handler. One that puts the previously top application in front of the list, and skips accessories. Or provide a clean hook into Control-Alt-Tab so I can enable the handler in Taskbar again ;-)

- Taskmanager

- Display more apps -> like top, maybe as tree

- Display memory/CPU-usage as graph for each client/prog

- Display memory/CPU-usage as graph for the whole system

- Display network-traffic as graph (for each client/prog?)

All good stuff, but is this really kernel-stuff? I would rather see this as a separate application that can be called by a special key-combo (like Alt+Help will execute althelp.sys today). You can find all the necessary information in /kern anyway (well, not network traffic perhaps).

Jo Even

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4347 (20090819) __________

http://www.eset.com