Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT 1.17 Release plan

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Rob Mahlert <rmahlert@charter.net> wrote:
> Alan Hourihane wrote:
>>
>> O.k. I thought I'd state what our release plan should look like....
>>
>> We currently have three branches and the trunk that I'd like to get into
>> shape for a 1.17 release. So...........
>>
>> Merge in freemint-enhancements into trunk by end of Jan 15th.
>>
>> Cherry pick all GCC -Werror fixes from ozk-enhancements to mainline by
>> end of Feb.
>>
>> Sort out what Helmut's and Odd's changes are for XaaES, hopefully Helmut
>> is looking now at what Odd has done here.
>>
>> Test, and release on April 1st - no april fool joke here !
>>
>> How does this sound to folks ?
>>
>> Alan.
>>

> Alan,
>
>  It all sounds good, but like someone mentioned setting dates might be too
> much. I think making a detailed todo list of what should be done to make the
> release is all that is needed. We can cross off completed task and when then
> start a RC phase to be sure and then the final release.
>

> my 2 cents..
> Rob Mahlert

The date is OK, and we all know its not cast in stone, but a todo list
should be a usable tool as well, at least those not doing dev work
will also know whats what as well

I am just concerned about having to wait that long for a stable
release, wsith respect to what that release will allow, for me that
means GUI stuff, and that means other will have to wait that long
before they can start doing design work. I will remidy this in the
next couple of days, at least for for the stuff I need

That time frame will allow me to put some non-os proto-types together
for ACP/Coldari tho, and that still leaves about 8 months for suitable
design and any possible required apps

dev's dont get me wrong, I am not gripping, I think what is proposed
will indeed be a definitive moment in MiNT Kernel development OS
usability.

I do however need at least one of Helmuts fixes in main trunk for my
additions to be usable, and that is his fix for the 1.17 XaAES pixel
format problem. If that can be incorporated before the final
enhancements trunk of Alan by the 15th, then there will be no problems
in waiting for a full blown release around April, as I can drum up
designers using the preliminary 15th+ CVS (where stable enough for GUI
design work), and those efforts can bear fruit by the same point
release, some of which may be suitable for CVS commit also, making it
a bumper release all round..

So thanks you Ozk for bringing your long awaited additions, thanks to
Helmut for allthe last 7 months of fixes, espcially for the lates
batch of VDI + ET4000 work which others will appreciate, and an
especially thankyou to Alan for continued (soon to be) main trunk
fixes and work, ye olde ST appreciates it.

Also big ups to Vincent et al for fixes and patch through v4e work,
and those doing CT6x/CTPCI fixes and patches, some of your work may go
down in history as a seminal turning point for MiNT's long term life
span... cheers

Paul
I will submit the 1.17 versions of those 1.16 patches for extended
textures, custom gradients and user defined xa_xtoby.rsc definition,
this is my christmas gift for every body elses hard work and patience,
thankyou