Re: [MiNT] 'cd' does not like u:

From: "Helmut Karlowski" <helmut.karlowski@ish.de>
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:19 PM
To: "Jo Even Skarstein" <joska@online.no>; "mint" <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] 'cd' does not like u:

I didn't actually mean $SYSDIR but the content of /kern/sysdir. That's what xaloader reads. But they both contain the same. xaloader works with unix-style path as argument, I think MiNT knows that, so it should not be a problem for at least a MiNT-domain-app to use it.

Converting between DOS-style and unix-style paths has traditionally been the left to the applications (handled by MiNTlib usually). I see no reason to change this. OK, we're only talking about one specific path, but why should this be an exception? The concept of '/' as a representation of the root fs doesn't translate well to GEMDOS. There is no such thing as a "root fs" in GEMDOS, it's represented by the drive U. Having $SYSDIR pointing to '/c/mint...' is IMO not correct in MiNT/GEMDOS, as a leading / means that the path is relative to the root of the current drive which could be any drive and not necessarily U.

This could just as well be the reason why xaloader works fine with this kind of path - have you tried to change it's working drive to e.g. C and then test the "unix path"?

If 'cd c:' works but 'cd u:' doesn't then I'd say cd (or MiNTlib) is broken and should be fixed.

BTW: cygwin is just about to abandon the DOS-writing. But MiNT is not cygwin, I know.

That's true. Cygwin's only purpose is to ease porting of unix-stuff to windows. So using unix-style paths makes perfect sense.

Jo Even