Re: [MiNT] Where should a user put GEM apps

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 6:33 AM, Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 06:11 +1100, Paul Wratt wrote:
>
> ..snip..
>
> This is insane. Why make things so incredibly complex, slow, fragile and
> just damn DIFFICULT?? Whenever I read the word "script" I feel an urge
> to smash my monitor with the nearest heavy object. None of the stuff you
> outline is needed for a smooth and good user experience. On the

1st rule of programming, the simpler and more flexible you wish a user
interface to be, the more complex its underlying structure becomes. It
can not be avoided, it is exponential, it is a fact of life, just like
in a marrage :)

Scripts for console programming are easier to maintain, simply because
they do not require compilers & debuggers, etc, and are suitable
intermediate step until an app is build.

Even those Software Centers you mentioned are full of scripts

"he who re-invents the wheel by hand every time, stands still for long
periods. He who creates a good pit crew can change any wheel on any
vehicle. Envy the man with a horse."

> contrary, they will just make a huge mess of the simple and enjoyable
> concept of GEM applications.
>
> Want to install an application? Download the archive and unpack it.
> There it is. Want a handy shortcut? Drag the executable to the desktop
> or start-menu. Doesn't need the application anymore? Drag the folder and
> the shortcuts to the trashcan. Do you want the application to
> automatically use your preferred language? Set your preference in the
> control panel and let the AES decide which language file to load (if
> available).
>
> Jo Even

This is fine for "zips", not so for stuff from repo packages which
require structure

the above mention "paths in teradesk" would be more usable if they
where environment variable, which some already are (like in mint/xaaes
conf). Although some are held or duplicated in registry, windows also
uses environment variables which can be used in path statements. To a
certain degree most linux distros do the same

It would therefore be nice for package maintainer to be able to place
environment variables in paths for installation purposes, where the
end user could then choose there own filesystem structure or layout

Again this is not needed for non repo packaged archives, but could
also be us with auto installers

Paul