Re: [MiNT] Where should a user put GEM apps

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 06:11 +1100, Paul Wratt wrote:

> With the advent of AFROS, and to make it more usable in the future, a
> predefined filesystem structure will be a must (cos its on CD). This

This is the first time this millenium I've read the words "future" and
"CD" in the same sentence ;)

> I have a FS structure outline that copes with language changes also,
> including RSC, HYP etc. I have a predefined default layout, but it is
> all designed to user adjustable, also recoding actual FS layout in
> files for easy lookup. But essentailly it would work similar to how
> the windows environment paths work eg: %PROGRAMFILES%/BoBsUrApP/ and
> %HYPDOCS%/mint/ as well as %LANGRSC%/de etc
>
> this would mean anyone using it to install a complete OS and apps,
> could tweak it to there liking
>
> as for package installers, the best way is to combine commandline
> utils with graphics frontend, that way the system caters for both user
> types, and the interface app could be written in GFA Basic, or a
> script language (that produces graphical interfaces), making it easy
> to maintain
>
> I already use something like this as console scripts for managing
> ARAnyM, MiNT, and XaAES configurations, allowing me to maintain all
> required ARAnyM files within my Atari/MiNT filesystem, allowing me to
> flick between TOS versions, MiNT versions and XaAES themes, while
> maintaining identical setting across different versions
>
> now all I need is a graphical frontend for it..one that just executed
> the correct script files, and saves my data changes to specific files,
> or paths. the scripts build the required .cnf files, and copies,
> renames and backs up the current files, folders and setting

This is insane. Why make things so incredibly complex, slow, fragile and
just damn DIFFICULT?? Whenever I read the word "script" I feel an urge
to smash my monitor with the nearest heavy object. None of the stuff you
outline is needed for a smooth and good user experience. On the
contrary, they will just make a huge mess of the simple and enjoyable
concept of GEM applications.

Want to install an application? Download the archive and unpack it.
There it is. Want a handy shortcut? Drag the executable to the desktop
or start-menu. Doesn't need the application anymore? Drag the folder and
the shortcuts to the trashcan. Do you want the application to
automatically use your preferred language? Set your preference in the
control panel and let the AES decide which language file to load (if
available).

Jo Even