Re: [MiNT] Where should a user put GEM apps

2011/1/11 David Gálvez <dgalvez75@gmail.com>:
> 2011/1/10 Vincent Rivière <vincent.riviere@freesbee.fr>:
>> Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
>>>
>>> I could not agree more. My Milan has a boot-partition and a
>>> F32-partition called "Apps". Every app I use has one folder on that
>>> drive. The unix-stuff is located on a big ext2-partition and I don't
>>> have a clue about how it works. I can find and edit stuff in /etc,
>>> everything else I leave alone and hope that rpm knows it's stuff.
>>
>> I totally agree, too.
>>
>> Let's RPM handle UNIX-cr*p as far as applications work well from the command
>> line.
>>
>> For GEM apps, we have been accustomed to unzip anywhere and go, it would be
>> nice if it could continue like that.
>>

> It looks like the discussion is about forcing everybody to put their
> GEM applications in the UNIX directory tree. :-)
> People can place their software wherever they want with the zip
> packets. But it would be a nice POSSIBILITY to have also GEM
> application as installable packages, and in sci-fiction future an
> application-manager could connect a server to see if there are new
> versions download and install them, but as a CHOICE, you can still
> download the zip files and put them anywhere you want.
>
> For example:
>
> http://sparemint.org/sparemint/html/packages/freemint-gem.html
>
> This packet is installed by EasyMiNT. It seems that the standard is
> /opt but I wasn't sure as there is /usr/GEM also in the directory
> tree. As Christos I only wanted to know if there is a standard, and if
> not may be to choose one.

/usr/GEM is ancient, but still used by some packages, go with /opt/GEM

With the advent of AFROS, and to make it more usable in the future, a
predefined filesystem structure will be a must (cos its on CD). This
also helps people update if they use AFROS as the basis for there
setup

I have a FS structure outline that copes with language changes also,
including RSC, HYP etc. I have a predefined default layout, but it is
all designed to user adjustable, also recoding actual FS layout in
files for easy lookup. But essentailly it would work similar to how
the windows environment paths work eg: %PROGRAMFILES%/BoBsUrApP/ and
%HYPDOCS%/mint/ as well as %LANGRSC%/de etc

this would mean anyone using it to install a complete OS and apps,
could tweak it to there liking

as for package installers, the best way is to combine commandline
utils with graphics frontend, that way the system caters for both user
types, and the interface app could be written in GFA Basic, or a
script language (that produces graphical interfaces), making it easy
to maintain

I already use something like this as console scripts for managing
ARAnyM, MiNT, and XaAES configurations, allowing me to maintain all
required ARAnyM files within my Atari/MiNT filesystem, allowing me to
flick between TOS versions, MiNT versions and XaAES themes, while
maintaining identical setting across different versions

now all I need is a graphical frontend for it..one that just executed
the correct script files, and saves my data changes to specific files,
or paths. the scripts build the required .cnf files, and copies,
renames and backs up the current files, folders and setting

Paul

Paul