Re: [MiNT] XaAES Language-selection

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:03 AM, WongCK <wongck68@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Sure - the length might be  sometimes a problem to be solved. Also all
>>output-strings must be in the  rsc-file (which is not the case in XaAES yet).
>>

> Long time ago, changing language was just by using the correct RSC files.
>
> I must catch up with the newer technologies as well as the new wheels.
>
> rgds

where resource definition (beside language) is already set out in a
RSC file, it is just a matter of tweeking to suit all/most lanuages

I would think that users who did have problems with text layout due to
an unexpected language would eventually modify the RSC files they use

one RSC for all language or another RSC for "long" languages - either
way it will be a matter of users (& devs) testing and doing the work

I believe Helmuts idea is good, but I do not see any reason why a
specific set of language RSC file can not be maintained somewhere

That gives lower overheads (mem, file size, etc) and a more rounded
and fuller "Overall OS experience".

But that also takes time and manpower. I would prefer both approaches,
as Helmuts type of solution will fastrack new lanuages being made
available and usable

There is no need to limit ourselves to a "one solution fixes all"
approach, which always has some sort of drawback

There is absolutely no reason why (in the future) an optional language
pack cannot be applied to a full OS installation. But that would
require either a specific filesystem structure, or a (simple) way to
find out whats installed. Both of which are notorious on Atari/TOS
setups, but not impossible to deal with (like AFROS for example)

Some things to think about at least..

Cheers

Paul