Re: [MiNT] Network and USB problems with NetUSBee

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:33:44 , Lars Schmidbauer <latzmaster@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > It's o.k. there's no more inet4.xdd's from me.
> > The last one was basically the same inet4.xdd from 1.16 with the mint
> > version checks removed.
> > So the difference isn't in our codebase. Maybe Odd hasn't submitted
> > something that makes his inet4.xdd work for your environment.
>
> Hmm, Assemsofts and EasyMiNTs inet4.xdd behave the same (work good on 1.16).
> EasyMiNTs (your "version check removed") and trunk inet4.xdd show DL problems
> with 1.17 and 1.18.
> So is it possible that this problem is caused by changes somewhere else in MiNT?
> Something that is not transmission-related but perhaps some kind of buffer-,
> data- or cache handling... because downloads run fast until they stop.
> Just an idea...

That was my feeling a few years back. I tried pinging large packets but you
can't do that with mint ping.

> @ Peter:
> > If you send an email with MyMail with a large attachment, does it stall
> > and then behave like it has finished ?  You may find that the email hasn't
> > actually been sent.
> > This is what happened to me with 1.16 and inet. With dial-up or 1.15.12
> > (which doesn't use inet) worked perfectly when sending or receiving large
> > files.
>
> This was part of the mtu-discussion some years ago, IIRC. No, this never happened
> here:
> - 1.16 + modem: No problems (the good slow old days ;-) )
> - 1.16, 1.17 and 1.18 + ethernec(NE2000 card perhaps not properly working):
>   Speed slow, massive amount of in-errors in ifconfig, but up/downloads are
>   working good (no stop, all mails are sent+received correct).
> - 1.17 and 1.18 + NetUSBee: DL stop, Mymail hangs when receiving mail often ->
>   broken mails in inbox. Didn't really test sending mails with large attachments.

I might be worth trying to send a 500k email or something just to see if
you get the same problem. Send it to me if you like. I will confirm if it
arrives.

I was using rtl8139.xif but I also bought and tried an ne2000 to rule out the
drivers.

My connection is ok but not as fast as I would expect.

Regards,

Peter