Re: [MiNT] Software IDE

On 10/12/2013 16:21, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
I stopped using gcc completely because the waiting drove me insane,
even on my Milan060.

IMHO, running gcc on an Atari machine is a total nonsense. gcc is extremely heavy, it has not been designed for low-end machines. It uses a huge amount of RAM and disk space.

However, I may be wrong, since Alan seems to be happy by compiling anything natively with Gentoo.

But now there is a native gcc for the Firebee.

Sure, the ColdFire CPU is not so bad.
But disk access is very slow on the CompactFlash. It would not be much better with a real hard disk, since UltraDMA is not supported.

I wonder how the FireBee behaves when compiling heavy stuff with gcc. Certainly not better than ARAnyM.

--
Vincent Rivière