Re: Splash-screen

Hi!

> I'm probably going to hell for this, but...
>
> I've seen the screenshots and feature-list of MagiC 6, and while there's
> nothing revolutionary in it, there's one small thing I liked, the
> splash-screen.
>
> How difficult would it be to redirect everything after the initial
> greeting-text in MiNT to a file, so you can display a splash-screen? If
> it's possibly without too much hassle, then I would like to try.
>
> Btw. the new windows in MagiC 6 looks great/horrible. The top-bar looks
> very nice indeed, but I *hate* the fat border and resizer. And I wonder
> how apps that has custom window-gadgets (like CAB) looks...

The main problem is certainly that you boot the system in text mode. You will
either be limited to the boot resolution or you have to open a vdi workstation.
Especially the second case may be a problem when you think about users of
graphics cards (not all use NVDI!). Some drivers may run into difficulties
when you try to open (and close) a workstation. Or you may not be able to
select a specific resolution...
So for a single user system that boots directly into GEM it may not be a
problem (but is - I think - not the task of MiNT but of the AES) to display
a splash screen but you may run into trouble on console based systems...

Regards,
   Torsten