Re: [MiNT] MiNT directory name

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, kellis wrote:

> Martin and the others that think like him:
> Ok, fine by me, Now I know what to do.
> With all the failures (it seems I get all the QUESTIONS on WHY mint
> doesn't work (probably coz i wrote KEMD). I'll just tell them to send
> their queries to qfunk and you all in here and I won't help them.
> This is getting annoying. "Made a lotsa noise for nothing"..
> As said earlier, my setup works fine. So I couldn't give a crap after all
> just like you all.
> Other people still don't get mint kernel to load correctly BECAUSE of this
> "stupid" 3 possible locations of mint.cnf
>
> If it is all good as you said, fine. That is droping support and ease
> where it can be "fixed/improved".
> Why make it complicated when it can be done as EFFICIENTLY with a simpler
> scheme, That's my whole point. Just because some people have set an icon
> with the multitos folder. whoao. IS that really worth the whole hassle the
> new comers are having? I don't think so. But you do seem to think so.
> Oh well. At least I have tried. And I will not be able to help people
> anymore.. As my peers are not supporting, listening for new "efficient"
> ways of doing just because of their own lazyness.

 I fully agree with kellis here! I see the point very clearly. I can
understand that most of you don't want to introduce yet another name. "Yet
another name". This gives me the impression that some ppl think kellis
wants to ADD yet another place for MiNT to locate its boot-stuff, like
XFS, XDD, XIF, cnf and so on. This is not the case. Kellis, and I agree,
mean that reducing the possible places where MiNT looks for the
boot-procedure stuff, should be reduced to ONE single place. Well, we
can't remove the ./ place, so that would make it look in TWO places. Its
starting path, and ONE single folder. This would make installation
procedures a lot easier for newcomers. Remember that this idea is
presented to make it easer for newcomers to install/understand MiNT,
because, as kellis said, I really don't care as my system works.

 I came up with the name "mintboot" on irc, but I can understand that
changing the name to something not previously used before is not a good
thing. But that name, IMO, explans to newcomers that this is where MiNT
looks for stuff when it boots. So, in any case, be it "mint", "multitos"
or whatever, we should opt for ONE single folder in addition to ./

 I think that if we care to get more users to use MiNT, we need to make it
easier to install, and I think this is a step in the right direction.

 Just my thoughts..

 Odd Skancke - ozk@atari.org