Re: [MiNT] MiNT directory name

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 19, 1999 at 02:32:05PM +0000, kellis wrote:
> Martin and the others that think like him:
> Ok, fine by me, Now I know what to do.
> With all the failures (it seems I get all the QUESTIONS on WHY mint
> doesn't work (probably coz i wrote KEMD). I'll just tell them to send
> ... [kellis angry] ;-)

I think I should repeat my point here: I think it is relatively out of the
question that "/boot" should be a symlink to the boot partition, for most
of us "c:", right?

OK, taking this for granted would result in three possible directories:

	/boot/auto
	/boot/mint
	/boot/multitos

I've omitted /boot/bootmint and /boot/qfunk because I think that most
people would disagree on yet another directory to be searched.

I was looking for a way to manage device and filesystem drivers and
network interfaces from a script.  I don't think that anybody really uses
"c:\auto" (which would be "."), so I picked the first one in the list
which is /boot/mint to install/update/erase drivers.  This makes sense
because that is also the directory that the kernel prefers (/boot/mint
will be searched before /boot/mutltios).

If you have /usr/multitos, /boot/multitos or whatever and you think you
cannot rename them, just keep them, no problem.  Only, if you want to
benefit from that drivers script, you should make sure that you place your
drivers rather in "mint" than in "multitos".  But nothing bad will happen,
if you don't.

Of course I could change the drivers script to imitate the algorithm that
the kernel uses to search for drivers.  But I would really prefer if you
would have a try with

	/boot -> /c

resp.

	sln c:\	u:\boot

in your mint.cnf.

It's just a name and I have picked that one because it made sense to me,
but not to worry anybody.

The only difficulty I had when eliminating all "multitos"
directories/links on my system was with /usr/etc/execmtos which looked for
/usr/multitos/gem.sys.  I've fixed that by loading execmtos into a binary
editor and changing the path but a symlink would have done, too.

Uhm, confused? Sorry ...
Just keep your directories for now, and try to migrate slowly to
/boot/mint.  It's not urgent.

Ciao

Guido
--