Re: [MiNT] centralized MiNT archive

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 12:36:52PM +0300, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Thomas Binder wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 08:37:27PM +0300, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
> > > I hope nobody will mind, I enclosed the file with this email...
> >
> > I do, especially because you have the possibility to put that
> > stuff on a web server and just post the URL to it.
>
> Actualy, this brings back the question of a centralized FTP
> server for the MiNT archive.  The only reason why I mailed
> it is because the question still hasn't been resolved:

Actually, Frank and I have started Sparemint for that reason. ;-)

> Funet  - great speed for most, horribly slow for others.
> Berlin - same problem, plus bandwidth and user restrictions.
>
> The guys at Fishpool once proposed to host it; nothing came out
> of it... Who will be brave enough to volunteer?
>
> PS:  it might be a good idea that whoever volunteers, get people
>      from various places on the globe to test your server speed,
>      before it is selected as "the" official MiNT archive.

I cannot say whether this is a good idea but it will certainly not help a
lot.  The visible "performance" of the server on the client side depends
on the route the packages take.  There is no "ideal" server for everyone,
the solution is to mirror sites.

BTW, shutdown, that's part of the Sys V init suite I'm working on.  I will
try to implement the MiNT specific stuff from Draco's shutdown, but the
user interface will be standard Sys V one (resp. the Linux one).

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/