Re: [MiNT] OSMD - introduction (fwd)

Hi all!

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:01:21 +0200 (CEST), Standa Opichal wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Guido Flohr wrote:
>
> > > will be able to prepare English and Czech versions (no matter what
> > > way of installation in point 1 will be chosen). We wil be glad if
> > > some of you will translate the script to German, French, ...
> >
> > Install the package "gettext" and try "gettext --help".  You don't need
> > separate scripts to internationalize your installation stuff, you only
> > need different message catalogs.  Once you support more than two
> > languages, you will not be very happy with your solution.
>
> Not with GEM complient solution. There is, however, much more convenient
> solution for this... just change the .RSC file ;) Anyway, is there any
> need to have a multi language installation?

Of course!

> How many users use MiNT and don't know English.

A few, of course. And isn't it exactly because the MiNT is only in
English? (And also in German - and what can we see, who are the
developers of FreeMiNT, aren't they Germans? There is plenty of good
Atari coders in Poland. What could happen if MiNT was translated to
Polish?)

> Another waste of time?

I think SpareMiNT and all emulatos will be waste of time if there
will be not enough potencial users of them. One and easy way to get
them is to offer them a product in their language.

> We all are saying "I was short
> of time" and doning nothing. I think the English language is good enough
> for _everybody_ using MiNT. Other users will translate it themselves.

As you said. The internalization means no extra work (except allowing
gettext or something like this in the source code) for the
programmers. On the other hand it is a great gateway for people like
me who cannot code but can help with translating pure texts from
English to their native language. That's the division of labour - the
greatest way to effectivity.

Regards,
		Bohdan Milar