Re: [MiNT] [Mint-cvs] [FreeMiNT CVS] freemint/sys/sockets/inet4

Helmut Karlowski a écrit :
Am 01.01.2010, 22:45 Uhr, schrieb Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.co.uk>:

Alternatively, I can create a branch for you for your entire patch set.

I think that would be best

Please, do not create a branch... things are already complicated enough.

Here are the facts:

- Helmut wants to improve XaAES and work freely on the sources, without any constraint. To get a 200 KB patch, I think there are a lot of minor changes, including various cleanups in the code, maybe source reformatting, etc. As well as fundamental changes, of course.

- Alan is in practice the only alive maintainer, he has the responsibility to not break everything. He must commit the proposed patches if they are good for the project. So the patches must be clean, as small as possible, and target a specific goal. Not a big pack of unreadable changes.

- There are not so much XaAES developers (who ?) so there are very few comments on the provided patches.

- The users want up to date, working binaries.

Thus here is my personal advice:

Helmut, if the commit procedure is too annoying for you, setup a dedicated web page, provide a zip with your XaAES binaries, and another with your sources. Then the users will have the possibility to use either your alternative binaries, or the official outdated ones. When no one will use the official SpareMiNT versions, I think the official developers (if there are some) will seriously be interested to reintegrate your changes.

That's what is good with Free Software. The Freedom to do what you want while you respect the Freedom of other people.

NB: Of course it would be far better if everyone would agree to common sources.

--
Vincent Rivière