Re: [MiNT] Gentoo/FreeMiNT "preview" release

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 00:23 +0100, Vincent Rivière wrote:
> Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > If you visit http://gentoo.atariforge.org there's a link for the
> > tarball.
>
> Hello.
>
> I have just tried your snapshot on ARAnyM, and I think it works as expected.
> I took an EasyMiNT setup, then I made a new ext2 partition of 1 GB and I
> unpacked your tarball. The data is 633 MB.
> Then I replaced the original d: by the new Gentoo partition.
>
> I have not modified the mint.cnf file, neither the kernel which is still 1.16.
> At startup, it complains that /sbin/init is not found. I type bash manually
> and I'm in the shell.

I did mention in the original email that your mint.cnf needs to say
INIT=/bin/bash. That would avoid the above problem.

> I can run all the usual commands.
> I have not setup the network yet.
>
> I can run manually xaloader.prg from the shell then I'm on TeraDesk as
> usual. TosWin is not available anymore, I have not investigated (may be it
> was on the old d: ?)
>
> I had strange errors while untaring:
> tar: usr/share/man/man3/B\:\:C.3pm.bz2: Cannot open: No such device or address
> tar: usr/share/man/man3/B\:\:Concise.3pm.bz2: Cannot open: No such device or
> address
>
> Was there colons in the filenames ?

I'll check on that. There are colons, and I did fix a problem in the
kernel that related to this but I think there's another place which
needs fixing.

> Finally, this works quite fine.
> Good job, Alan.

Excellent. I'll keep working on getting it out of "preview" for a new
release asap.

Thanks for the report Vincent.

Alan.