Re: [MiNT] Bit-Depth and Graphics stuff....

From: "Miro Kropacek" <miro.kropacek@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:03 AM
To: "Jo Even Skarstein" <joska@online.no>
Cc: "mint" <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] Bit-Depth and Graphics stuff....

Why do you want to document wishes/changes/ideas for fVDI on the
FreeMiNT/SpareMiNT wiki if fVDI doesn't belong here?
I think this isn't such a bad thing -- as we can have sparemint.org
with CVS browser for not only freemint/xaaes but also gemlib, cflib
and qed (among others), I don't see a reason why we couldn't make
subsections at least for this developer stuff, i.e. freemint / xaaes /
gemlib / cflib / (gemma?) /

These are already mentioned on the wiki. There is ofcourse no reason not to put more information about these in the wiki. See http://wiki.sparemint.org/index.php/CVS - just go ahead and create the necessary pages :-) After all, the wiki is about the SpareMiNT project which these projects are a part of.

...fvdi, maybe some others which are free and
possibly good candidates to add to sparemint's cvs. You certainly
don't want to push Johan to make his own bugtracker, wiki etc when he
could actually code on fvdi...

But fVDI is not a part of the SpareMiNT project. Normal courtesy would be to ask Johan before making plans for his project ;-) IIRC fVDI already has it's own CVS and mailing list.

This is only a small part of Paul's idea though, the main problem is how he suggests to use the wiki. A wiki is a poor project management tool and a poor discussion forum. The bugtracker combined with CVS is IMO the right tools to use. The wiki is for documentation, not discussions. API- and programming docs belongs in the source code, together with the implementation. If not, it will go out of sync almost right away (i.e. the current situation).

GEMlib is a good example. The bindings are documented in the code, and the API documentation is extracted and pretty-printed by Doxygen.

In short:

Discussions - the mailing list.
Planned features and changes - the bugtracker, together with specs on how to do it.
API- and programming docs - a part of the implementation.
Documentation, user manual, FAQs, downloads, links, resources etc - the wiki.

Well, atleast that's my opinion.

Jo Even