Re: [MiNT] Bit-Depth and Graphics stuff....

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:
> On 07/18/2010 08:47 AM, Paul Wratt wrote:
>>
>> OK, if you remember back to the original discussion in which wiki was
>> decided the best use for the "new sparemint/freemint" web site, it
>> came down to the ability for the site to be maintained
>
> But a discussion is just that - a discussion. A wiki is not a forum.
> There are no threads, no (practical) way of keeping track of who said
> what. This is exactly what a mailing list does well. If you're having
> problems following threads or finding old stuff you need a better MUA.

why isnt this working?
http://wiki.sparemint.org/index.php/Special:RecentChanges

>> What I am saying is "give us a place we can view the API in its
>> interim state" while that discusson is going on.
>
> But who sets the "interim state"? The author of the latest posting? The
> problem is not the tool, but that things are discussed without no-one
> taking charge and finalize things. Like now ;-)

thast the problem, it is left to one person to provide finalized documentation.

Which is not an issue if people have enough time to document things,
but that the crux of the problem, people with time, as you yourself
know, and it is unfair on the rest of (possible) users/implimenters
for that to rest on one persons shoulders, simply because of the time
related issues

Its not about NOT using the list for discussion, its about
facilitating/fast-tracking the process at which discissions are made,
in such a way as to alleviate the problem with time related issues,
which in part is related to "history of the current position", which
"could" (not will) be solved (in part?) by easily referencing "the
current outline" online

Bugtraker is fine, but fVDI is a good example of that not being
possible, because its not related to code or projects held on this
system (AtariForge/SpareMiNT) and yet it is essential to the core of
TOS/GEM development

I could alleviate this discussion simply by providing a usable
solution, rather than adding to a discussion about providing a more
usable system, but that needs to be usable for everyone, and then used
by everyone. If its not part of the current known web space, it will
simply get lost, or become unused, which defeats the purpose of having
it in the first place

I'm not looking to "satisfy everyone all the time", just to "satisfy
most a majority of the time"

Essentially I am saying, one should be able to code modern projects
and contribute, without having to spend hours wasted where a suitable
solution would speed up the process of finding the starting point,
weather that is finalized, or still in discussion, it would be
documented in one place, along with other things that are
inter-related.

To make another point, this need to add/extend an API should also
include the request made in Jan/Feb for an API, to which no responses
were made

Its not a usable search function in your MUA, but how to get all
related material, which is often only possible with use of escoteric
words or phrases

If it helps, I can supply something as proof of concept, something
that does have edit tracking, something that is usable for Docs, API's
& code, something that can integrate with a CVS/SVN repo, and allows
remote acess (via http).

That would cover most people (differing) ways of using, contributing,
use off the shelf apps, or a custom app (I have the time & skill for
this). Something that could import user/pass from current lists (HW,
MinT, ARAnyM, others) would be more usable and accountable as far as
security goes.

OK, whatever the solution, one point is obvious, this list gets used
for discussions for which the project/code are not soley maintained by
its associated servers, and that needs to be taken into account

Paul