Re: [MiNT] Bit-Depth and Graphics stuff....

On 07/08/2010 04:32 PM, Paul Wratt wrote:

> You (as a programmer) need to respect the users palette settings,
> unless you modify then restore.

Correct. Unless you're in a truecolour mode, where this doesn't matter.

> The .pal that currently comes with Taskbar is the same as most "nvdi"
> or "Jinnee" palettes. I have even checked the alternates, and they

It's the standard NVDI palette. I included this palette because there
were problems with changing the global palette in fVDI at the time. It's
only loaded if there's more than 256 colour IIRC, and only changes the
palette for Taskbar's own workstations.

> where in fact the same. There was only one other common palette, and
> that used the colorset as defined by Atari, which did not give enough
> of "certain" colors, hence the use of the "nvdi" palette.

Is there such a thing as a palette definition by Atari? The first 16
colours are defined, but I don't think there is an "official" palette
beyond that.

> The other alternative would be to start using Windom2, as it
> impliments a "no need to know" set of functions that are quite

This might have changed, but back when I tested Windom I quickly
discovered that it did a lot of things I didn't like. E.g. it creates
many objects of it's own, which make (made) Windom-applications look
non-standard under N.AES and later XaAES.

Jo Even