Re: [MiNT] AHCC publishing libs / How to compile libs

Hi,

On torstai 18 huhtikuu 2013, Miro Kropáček wrote:
> > - I've compiled everything again, just with int = 16bit. Same result.
>
> Be careful here. CFLIB is (yet) 32-bit, although it comes from 16-bit
> environment so it's probably safe but you never know. GEMLIB on the other
> hand support 16-bit targets but better check Makefiles, whether there
> isn't some #define or so.
>
> > Is the proplem with CFLIB Demo because of the int data type size?
>
> Who knows, 32-bit should be certainly fine. Did you try gcc first?

I've had problems when trying to do 32-bit builds with AHCC (in programs
that build & work fine when compiled with GCC and VBCC), but maybe those
issues have been fixed in later AHCC versions...

> > How to publish libs compiled with AHCC, as 16bit or as 32bit int
> > version? What is prefered?
>
> I'd say the latter. But it could create confusion for PureC programmers,
> as AHCC claims to be PureC compatible.

It's also (to some extent) compatible with SozobonX and it's xgemfast
library, and those are also 16-bit.

I guess the main benefit from 16-bit ints would be binaries sizes
and resulting (smaller) memory usage.  Probably also speed as
AHCC itself does only some assembly level peephole optimizations.

Because of this, I don't see programs where speed is the most
important thing, or which have huge amounts of code that could
be mostly optimized away with GCC, as good targets for AHCC...

	- Eero